View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 09:07 AM   #31
mrnoodle
bent

found some more pennies (aren't you glad).

Quote:
Contessa, though determined, lacks motivation, for she feels her efforts - ultimately, in the grand scheme of the universe - will not matter.
Hence my point. I'm not saying that Contessa wants to be a hollow rock star per se, but if her motivation is that she "matters" in the grand scheme of things, she sets herself up for disappointment time after time. She will hopefully realize that her contribution to the universe is simply that she lives her life to the best of her ability, without the need for outside motivation or recognition. One day at a time, one act of kindness at a time, doing what is right and letting the chips fall where they may.

I realize now that you and jag were right. My opinion is too heavily skewed by my faith to be a direct parallel with that of someone who doesn't believe in God. Thinking back on it, my lack of "motivation", if you will, to find some meaning in life that is centered around myself is caused by the realization that meaning in life comes from God, and we're all part of a bigger picture. (thankfully, you don't get points taken away for writing train wreck sentences like that one)

Maybe that's why people see religion as a crutch. We believers think that doing the right thing -- on the rare occasions that we are able to achieve this -- is an end unto itself. It strengthens our relationship with God and makes us feel valuable in and of itself. It doesn't mean we're suddenly all vital to the survival of the universe. It does mean that when we start asking questions like Contessa's asking (and we all do), there's an answer close at hand, and other people who have found the same answer can help us on our journey.

yah. so.