Thread: Being a kid
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2002, 06:38 PM   #9
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Children are seen as secondary citizens -- they are not even real people. Their opinions do not matter, and they are expected to 'do as they're told'. That parents profess to love their children is to my constant astonishment.
To this day, my parents have never professed even a passing interest in anything I liked. Computers, Dungeons and Dragons, fantasy novels, everything I loved was seen as an obstacle to school.
juju, i grew up in the same kind of household. well, with my father at least. for a while when i was about 9-11, my father insisted that i address him as 'sir'. dont really know what happened to him being 'dad', as that is the title i want most out of this world. i think part of the problem is that partents dont try to share their interests with their children. i love the outdoors, video games, photography, and various other things which i hope to expose my son to, to connect with him as a friend as well as a father. understanding though, that children will develop their own interests and goals to pursue, is important as well. i was never interested in football or wrestling when i was young, but i was pushed into those things by my father because 'thats what men like'. i resent that, and as long as my son develops healthy interests, it doesnt matter to me if theyre my ideals. all that matters is that he be supported in those pursuits. if my son is quarterback of his high school football team, you can be damn sure ill be at every game, even if i dont know necessarily whats going on.

Quote:
I think now that my parents learn as much from me as I do from them...and in the end, that seems to be the ultimate reward from parenting.
amen, sycamore. my ultimate goal is become a better person through my children.

i talk too much about my kid. i think its the overwhelming sense of pride. :)

~james