Thread: Riddle me this
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 10:55 AM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
I detest the current state of journalism as well. It's a product being made for profit, just like anything you buy at the store. News organizations want you watching and listening so they can tell their advertisers how big their market share is. Furthermore, "The Media" are their own political party, massaging stories and weighting polls to give their candidate an edge.

I think that it's more of a reflection on our society, though. If we didn't have such a voracious appetite for garbage, it wouldn't be made in such quantities. Jennifer Wilbanks is getting a book deal ONLY because X million people are stupid enough to buy a copy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
I thought this story was uber cool.

Briefly, a young Ethiopian girl who was being abused by men who were trying to force her into marriage was saved by lions. They chased off the bad guys and stood guard over the girl until help came, then melted back into the forest. Or whatever flora Ethiopia has.

That's just friggin sweet.
Will the real mrnoodle please stand up?

Boo, stupid modern journalism. I detest it. Oh, looky, a LION!!

Even smart guys like you are vulnerable to this. You stuck with the hook of the story long enough to read most of it, and thereby fulfilled the story producer's goal, your eyeballs on his page.

Doesn't seem like news to me though. More like filler. But it gets called news so you'll come to the story with those expectations and if the story is short enough and prurient enough, maybe the momentum will carry you through the next commercial break.