Thread: The Sex Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 05:37 PM   #265
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowhead
luna, can I only say that was a bad idea.. keep whatever convictions you like.. but uh.. please don't marry the first guy you have 'relations with' there have been too many of my friends that have made that mistake.. keep in mind that I have been an ought and ought whore. hey if you love the guy... thinkl about 30 years from now! think about it! love or sex...

xoxoxobruce?
Why in the world would you say this is a bad idea? Young people, inexperienced in many many things in the world get married all the time. Why would you suggest that a prerequisite for a happy marriage is sexual experience?

You have deftly turned her statement on its head and likewise inverted it's meaning. She DID NOT SAY that she would marry the first person she had 'relations with'. She DID SAY that she would not have sex until she was married. You may say that these two statements wind up being the same thing. But your remark implies that her plan is to marry the first person she has sex with, that marriage is a consequence of sex. Maybe that's what you're trying to say is a bad idea.

But I think Luna has something more consequential in mind, that despite her sexual tension, she has decided that her decison to marry someone will be based on criteria other than sex. A wise decision. As you know, and I know, sex can profoundly affect one's feelings and thoughts and actions, not always in reliable ways. I think Luna's decision to wait shows that she will not marry for sex, just the opposite of what you implied.

Sex is G-R-E-A-T but certainly not something to base a marriage on, you said so yourself. Marriage is vastly more important and enduring and complicated than sex, and that's saying a lot. Sex is a part of marriage, not the other way around.