View Single Post
Old 06-14-2002, 01:42 PM   #13
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Philadelphia could definitely be high up there, but our leaders seem to go about doing things ham-fistedly. Although there are a variety of reasons why people don't come here, I would say that the damned city wage tax and our transportation infrastructure are the two big dogs.
What transportation infrastructure?? Are you referring to the Sure-kill expressway? Only in Philadelphia could two interstate highways cross (I-95 and I-76) without an actual interchange being constructed.

Well, look at my wife & me.. maybe we're atypical. We both work in Philadelphia so we already pay the wage tax (albeit at the slightly lower non-resident rate... whatever happened to taxation without representation??). We basically like the place, and enjoy the concerts, art-house movie theaters, etc. that you can't get in the burbs. So if we're already paying taxes, why don't we just move in? We have thought about it, but with two small kids, it just doesn't make sense because of the school issue. If it weren't for that we'd probably do it.

So I wonder... yeah, the wage tax is an issue... but I wonder if the school system isn't hurting the city even more than the wage tax is.

I read the Salon article and was struck that Philadelphia was not mentioned, either positively or negatively.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote