View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I do commend the New Jersey Turnpike for having accelleration lanes, which don't actually exist in Pennsylvania.
This is one reason I just never drive on the Schuylkill Expressway. It's got plenty of bad examples, but the South Street onramp really takes the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
(Kind of like the Broomall Entrance to the Blue Route, if you're here near Philadelphia).
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure the only reason this entrance exists as it does is that when they built the Blue Route, they were unsuccessful in getting enough easements to build three lanes south of Broomall.

If you're taking Rt. 1 southbound, it used to be that the rightmost lane disappeared with a "merge left" sign for about 50 feet and then the lane to exit onto the Blue Route reopened. Needless to say, almost anybody with half a brain would just drive on the shoulder rather than do that merge. They've now changed it so the lane just stays open all the way to the exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs
every intersection has a four-way stop sign
Actually I left that one out. Around the area where I live there are dozens upon dozens of 4-way stop signs. And then there will be one regular non-4-way stop sign right in the middle of it all. The result, of course, is that many people treat it like a 4-way stop and go on through after they've stopped for a moment, assuming that the traffic on the cross street will be stopping. (And it usually will because people have learned to look out for these intersections.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote