View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 11:57 AM   #13
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by vsp
I have these things called "books," and I'm happy with them, because I know what generally happens when books make the transition to the silver screen...
"Generally", yes, but not in the case of <I>Fellowship</I> and I'm betting not for the others in the series. You're really missing out.

I am always puzzled by how upset people get that books get changed when they're made into a movie. If you took any good book, and directly translated it into a movie, it would suck.

Books are able to convey things such as first-person thoughts and emotions that are simply impossible in movies. So of course they can't just copy a book verbatim and have it make sense as a movie. The two vehicles, by their very nature, must use very different means of building a story and characters.

So it's a shame when people read a good book, then it gets made into a movie and they go the movie expecting it to be just like the book. One should go to a good movie to see a good movie, not have a book read to them.

So yes, there are differneces between the <I>Fellowship</I> book and movie, but it's still a great movie. The same themes that make the book a good read are there. It would be one thing if you disliked movies in general, but since that's obviously not the case, I can't figure out why you would avoid a particular movie simply because it is based off a book.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote