View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 08:52 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Personal gain may be the way to go.

The problem with offing Hitler is that, no matter when you do it, you can't be assured that some other politician will take the same direction to take advantage of the public conditions at the time.

If one offed Stalin, who arguably killed more people than Hitler, you risk another lame Commie bastard taking his place and using the same approach. In fact you would expect it.

One might take the white and be Himmler or Goering or somebody, and plan for a meeting of the entire government to try to take it out. There doesn't seem to be any place in the rules against being Himmler and killing Hitler and taking the heat for it to be executed as well.

But, I was thinking, to really get the most change, you have to alter the system before it even gets to that point. One could try to do something even loftier, such as being Guttenberg's assistant as he works on the printing press, and just as he comes to the right realizations, explain moveable type to him.

The optimistic hope would be that additional exchange of knowledge leads the human race to understand itself more quickly. But then, it didn't really help the 20th Century. It may be that the human race needs to go through that step in order to find the horror in it and try to do away with it. Hard to say.

So in the end I would probably just be Bill Gates for a week. For a week I would speak about the importance of open protocols as a means to increasing trust in the company. On the last day I would set myself up with a long contract for a cushy consulting job and permanently link the Cellar to the front page of MSN.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote