View Single Post
Old 08-16-2002, 07:24 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by Ra
The only reason the US "props up the world financially" is because we don't produce anything. We're a nation of consumeristic people. By consumeristic I mean that not only are we consumers we actively promote consumerism. "Clothes make the man" "The car makes the man". I don't wanna go Tyler Durden on you, but what do kids aspire to be? Rockstars movie stars. We chase those cars and clothes and keep ourselves ignorant of the world around us.

Consumerism is a pretty complicated topic, if we want a high rate of employment, we can't be afraid to consume. What I hate is when people buy without considering usefulness or value. My Mother-in-law continues to fill my daughters' room with crap, trying to buy what she already has, their love and affection. I consume but within the context of lifestyle and values, my most recent purchase was a new road bike which has value being important to my health/fitness etc... btw My older daughter wants to be an artist and my younger a nurse. We try to think about our consuming at Griffs House