Thread: Paint it Black
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 11:22 AM   #98
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
This is a community, and you should think differently about it.

In real life, you learn about current events or something, and then you go out and have a nice dinner or party or gathering with people you like, and you discuss them. If you're with people you know, you get more from the discussion, even if you have already heard a particular point of view elsewhere. If people you trust hold a point of view that tells you one thing. If people you don't trust hold it, that's another.

You also learn about the people you're discussing things with, and about people in general. Part of the point is the discussion, but the real point is that it's social.

Because people are deeper than current events. Early on somebody said something which marked the real raison d'etre of the Cellar. They pointed out that if they only knew Griff by his politics, they may think they don't like him... but he has built his own house, and that's really cool. Talking about *everything* is part of what makes us special. It lets us understand each other, AND the events going on around us, in different ways.

If you already have enough friends (anyone?), or if you already have social forums that you enjoy, you may find this place redundant. And, as in any social gathering, it's the people that make it unique and if you don't find a connection with this particular group of people it won't seem interesting. Personally, I don't see how I could live without the dwellars; they are a huge part of my life... supporting me through hard times, sharing the good times, sharing themselves and their lives, it's a beautiful thing.
Well said.

Maybe you should put this (or a link to this) on the new user registration page. Most would probably just skim over it, but a little bit of the message might sink in for some people.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote