View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
Society is a collection of humans with human-like characteristics.
***From Wikipedia:

Quote:
A society is a self-perpetuating grouping of individuals occupying a particular territory, which may have its own distinctive culture and institutions. …
The social sciences generally use the term society to mean a group of people that form a semi-closed social system, in which most interactions are with other individuals belonging to the group. More abstractly, a society is defined as a network of relationships between social entities. A society is also sometimes defined as an interdependent community...

Etymology

The English word society emerged in the 14th century and is derived from the French société. The French word, in turn, had its origin in the Latin societas, a "friendly association with others," from socius meaning "companion, associate, comrade or business partner." Thus the meaning of society is closely related to what is considered to be social. Implicit in the meaning of society is that its members share some mutual concern or interest, a common objective or common characteristics.

*** I am one of those annoying "ancients" who likes to back my opinion with valid sources and quote them or "plagarize" (NOT!) as some newer members have put it. If this annoys you, please feel free to put me on ignore.

PS Wanna hear my joke, yet?