Thread: No-Name Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 10:15 AM   #11
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I look around and I see people with all sorts of confidence, plans, road maps, talent, brains, courage, heart, ambition...
It's excellent to have courage, heart and ambition. Anybody who has them all the time is either fronting or not paying attention.

As for plans, they're great to have...as long as they are achievable, don't have too far distant a planning horizon and are not set in concrete. As Von Motlke said, "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy." If circumstance requires you to modify your plans, you can't score that as a defeat. Or you'll feel defeated a lot...which is hard on the "courage, heart and ambition" department.

Having prioritized goals is more important than having detailed plans. Being willing to modify those priorities is important too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I wonder: do they have deep chasms of doubt? Canyons of terror? Do they ever peer into the Great Abyss and see themselves?
Not having doubt would put one in that "not paying attention" category I mentioned above.

But to paraphrase Oscar Wilde, I would think that the only thing worse than peering into the Abyss and seeing yourself would be peering into it and not seeing yourself.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote