View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
mrnoodle
bent

There's a tendency in high school (particularly the last year or so) to think that "this is the last chance I'll get to do X while I'm in high school". It seems really pressing to get a girlfriend, have your life all planned out, make sure you are having all the fun you are supposed to be having (as defined by MTV) during the twilight of your yoot.

Meh.

Make the most out of every day, be kind to people, think about consequences before you do something stupid. You should be following the same rules when you're 60 as when you're 16. High school will be a faint memory in very short order -- if you remember the names of half of your high school acquaintances at your 10 year reunion, you'll be lucky.

Live by your principles, don't feel like you have to match some kind of template to be successful. If you like a girl, say hi and see what happens. If her values don't match yours, i.e., she thinks you have to get wasted to have a good time, keep looking. If you still haven't found love after the 10th one, you should at least have 10 new friends (who respect you for living life by your own terms).

high school guidance counselor blather notwithstanding, do the "just say no" thing, like Brianna said. Many wasted years can pass by without notice when you live with a constant buzz.