View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 04:26 PM   #22
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
Because "This is an English speaking country. We don't care where you are from, English is our language. Learn it or go back to wherever you came from!" was specifically designed against the large mexican and latin-american population in the US. You don't have to believe me, but I know it was. Yes, it also catches others, but spanish is the second most spoken language in the US.
Yes, but how many people who speak Spanish speak it exclusively? See, I actually live in a place with a Hispanic population growing ever closer to being a majority, and the Spanish language barrier isn't much of an issue here--most Hispanics know at least a little English, and they try very hard to communicate. Personally, if I heard someone say "...English is our language. Learn it or go back to wherever you came from!" I'd assume they were speaking to an Asian immigrant. It has been my experience that those cultures (who are an extreme minority in my area) are far less willing to learn English than Hispanics are. To sum up...

Quote:
You don't have to believe me, but I know it was.
I believe you sincerely believe it... but you don't really know who the statement was or was not aimed at.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote