View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #31
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

It's a little difficult to put my fingers on 'current' statistics without revealing information about myself I'm not willing to share, however, this information is available on the web, and it provides concrete numbers of the situation of illegal immigration in Pennsylvania. (Statewide, not just in MaggieL's neighborhood, but mine as well). I can generate the same sort of information for a southern state as well, which has a much higher population and struggles even more because of lower tax income. However, for me, this is enough justification that the illegal alien population is draining my wallet.

ETA: And before you call me racist, I work with a number of people from all over the world, date someone who wasn't born in this country, and could care less what color your skin is. If you break the laws in my country, you should be punished. Period. No matter where you were born.

I will keep looking for more updated information to prove that it's only getting worse, it's not getting better.

Source http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServe...h_research652f

INS ESTIMATE

The INS estimated in February 2003 that the illegal alien population in Pennsylvania was 49,000 as of January 2000. That represented an increase of 12,000 illegal aliens from the previous INS estimate that as of October 1996 there were 37,000 illegal residents. The latter estimate was a 37 percent increase above the INS estimate for 1992 (27,000).
Only 19 states have larger numbers of illegal resident aliens than Pennsylvania, according to the current INS estimate.
Pennsylvania has received partial compensation under the federal State Criminal Alien Assistance Program (SCAAP) that was established in 1994 to compensate the states and local jurisdictions for incarceration of "undocumented," aliens who are serving time for a felony conviction or at least two misdemeanors.
ENFORCEMENT OPERATIONS

The INS cited deportations of 1,259 criminal aliens in Pennsylvania during FY'2000 as their primary focus for enforcement operations. They also removed 590 illegal aliens and were holding 1,560 aliens on Dec. 1, including 1,098 convicted of crimes. (Source: AP, Dec. 4, 2000)
INCARCERATION COSTS

The recent SCAAP amounts that Pennsylvania has received were:

FY’99—$5,151,511
FY’00—$4,306,272
FY’01—$2,273,565
FY’02—$2,683,207
FY’03—$1,266,741
FY’04—$1,693,912

The amount of SCAAP awards has been declining in both total distributions and even more as a share of the state’s expenses. In FY’99 the state received 38.6% of its costs for 539 prisoner years of detention. By FY’02, the state’s reported illegal alien detention rose by 19 percent to 640 prisoner years, while compensation fell by 48 percent and since has decreased sharply.
MEDICAL COSTS OF ILLEGAL ALIENS

Under the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act, hospitals with emergency rooms are required to treat and stabilize patients with emergency medical needs regardless whether or not they are in the country legally or whether they are able to pay for the treatment. Congress in 2003 enacted an appropriation of $250 million per year (for 4 years) to help offset some of the costs due to use of this service by illegal aliens. This amount has been allocated among the states based upon estimates of the illegal alien population and data on the apprehension of illegal aliens in each state. This amount compensates only a fraction of the medical outlays. For Pennsylvania, the proposed payment in fiscal year 2004 is $1,168,499.

An additional link on Financial impact of Immigration (Not deliniated between Legal/Illegal, but still telling)
http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServe...searche251#msa

INS Statistics as of 2004 (Not broken down by states)
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/shared...arbook2004.pdf

Last edited by Dagney; 05-12-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote