View Single Post
Old 07-11-2001, 10:07 AM   #11
dynamo
Paramour of Paradigm

Quote:
Originally posted by serge
Have you seen caged animals lately? I'll just take one aspect of this barbarism (it's torture really, put yourself in their place). Remember how some of they are (already) at a point where they don't respond to humans (or anything else it seems).. just stand/lay there motionless whole day long! I won't go into why that happens.. everyone knows...
There are benefits to zoos, they are not just freak shows. I live in St. Louis (hi syc) so I might be biased because we have an excellent zoo, but there is a lot of education that goes on there. First that these animals are wild, not pets, there is no one trying to teach them to dance in there. And of course we learn about their habitat and the different creatures that have evolved in different environments around the planet. And unfortunately some of them are endangered, their habitat is being eroded away by man. That's a very serious issue, and it's made very real at the st. louis zoo. And that's really just the tip of the iceberg...zoos are important.

I do have a pair of cats, they bring a lot to my life, and I would suspect that if given the choice, they would happily choose to live a long comfortable life with me over nonexistance.
dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote