View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #157
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaMonkey
Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
What's a "witch"? What word did they translate that form? Aren't we attaching a contemporary definition to a translation of a word the meaning of which we have no idea of? By "witch" did they mean a green lady with a pointy hat? Does this refer to all women with a wart on their nose, or do they have to fly on a broomstick, too?

Quote:
Any real Christian church will make you follow only one rule under threat of hell - follow Christ.
I agree. Any "real" church theoretically would follow that rule. When you find a "real Christian church" that doesn't attach any garbled dogmatic baggage to the simple message of Jesus, please let me know. I've never seen or heard of one in my entire life.

Quote:
most churches I've seen encourage questioning
Again, please tell me where this wonderful imaginary church is, where Pastors love it when you argue with them about how to interpret the Bible. That's not how it works. Every church has a fixed outlook, and churchgoers "shop around" to find a church that they "fit in" with.

Quote:
The general attitude to "doubters" is "Oh, he'll come around," not "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!".
100% wrong. If you question the interpretation of the Bible embraced at your church, then you are not on the right path. You are on the path headed to Hell.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote