View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #105
Ollie_Lindy
Non-Newbie Sort

We bought a Wego Kite Tube. We watched the video & read the warnings. I went first, lost control of the tube & almost dislocated my right shoulder when falling. I am very familiar with water falls from skiing and tubing. My 23 year old daughter went next. She slammed into the water & had the breath knocked out of her. She couldn't breath. I was so frightened for her I couldn't get to her fast enough to get her out of the water. She is a college athlete - in excellent condition and also used to water sports. We followed the manufacturer's instructions exactly regarding speed & use of the tube.

What troubles me is that the manufacturer says not to be used by children under 12 years of age. What 12 year old has sufficient judgement to evaluate the warnings properly and accordingly accept the risk? Almost all products have liability warnings on them (remember McDonald's hot coffee...). It is sometimes impossible to tell if a product is truly dangerous or if the manufacturer is simply issuing warnings to protect against litigation in the event something should happen (even if chances are remote).

I will not permit anyone to use the Wego Kite Tube. I saw first hand for myself that it is extremely, extremely dangerous and I am truly grateful that no one was permanently injured while we learned our lesson. We do not let 12 year olds drive cars, motorcycles, or jet skis for a reason. If someone wants to accept the risk then that person should be 18 or older.

I sincerely hope this product is recalled. I live on a lake and do not look forward to having friends and neighbors seriously injured on this product. From what I saw, it WILL happen, it is only a matter of time.
Ollie_Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote