Thread: Philip Roth
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Philip Roth

I just finished reading EVERYMAN by Philip Roth (THE HUMAN STAIN, GOODBYE, COLUMBUS; PORTNOY'S COMPLAINT, etc.) and I sincerely wish that I had a magic wand because I would wave it around and bestow the following three gifts on Mr. Roth:

1) Immortality. Perhaps with the relief this knowledge would bring he could write a different g*ddamn story for once. Something decidedly NOT morbid and death-obsessed.

2) Limitless pudenda. This would no doubt enable him to focus on something other than, well, pudenda and his deep, deep, nearly unnatural desire for it, especially when it's on a female literally whole quarters of centuries younger than he is. Roth (in his 70's himself) would like us to believe that 70-something men are what 20-something women are looking for in a casual lover.

3) Ability to Get Over Himself.

What I am saying is EVERYMAN was like EVERY other book Roth has written and I feel like a sucker for reading it.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote