View Single Post
Old 11-07-2002, 07:44 PM   #28
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by henry fitch
Though I can't back this up by facts, I imagine a significant number of divorces are initiated by men. Even more unscientifically, I would like to put forward that men have frequently put up with shit from their wives without divorcing them. Is this because men have been beaten by their wives in the past? Doubt it. Although, they do say that 52% of spousal abuse victims are men...

I'm not trying to flame you, Juju, just trying to better understand what you're saying.
Well, first, I didn't really eat very well today. So I imagine my mind has just been very muddled. It's funny.. when i'm in this state, I often feel like I'm making perfect sense. "These posts are gold!" I'll say to myself. Heh heh. Then i'll read it the next day and just be really confused. Hmm... OTOH, maybe that is just my natural state?

With that said, you do make a very good point. I'm not sure how that would fit into my theory. Certainly the stigma against divorce is much less that it was in the 50's, so most men probably feel like they won't be ostracised in the community if they do get a divorce. It's possible the cause of this relieved stigma was an increase in women's rights. Though I fear I may just be connecting the dots to fill in my own theory.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote