Thread: The List
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #59
Brooke of the Land
obsequious purple and clairvoiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
If you can't seat someone to serve an enchilada in 45 minutes, I think the customer has a right to discuss with their party whether your enchiladas are worth waiting 45 minutes for, or if they should seek a meal elsewhere. That's how the world truly works outside your corner of it.

Why worry about the other people in line?...after all, you can't seat them anyway.

If you have such contempt for your customers, maybe you should consider a line of work with less customer contact. I'm sure the back of the house can find you something to do making enchiladas. Perhaps you can discover the recipe secret that would make them worth waiting 45 minutes for the privilege of ordering them.
I have no control over how many people decide to come eat enchiladas. In fact, it doesn't bother me that people decide not to wait that long to eat - there are better places to go with less waiting, and I get that, and that is perfectly okay with me. I just happen to be a patient person, and don't mind hanging out for a little bit of chit-chat time with the people I enjoy in my life.

I've worked at this place long enough to know that there's no reason to worry about who else is walking in the door, and how long they're going to have to wait (or not). There's nothing I can do to change their wait time, short of asking people who are already eating to please leave so that those whose tummies are empty can be served. But you can only deal with one party on the list at a time, so that's all I'm concerned about.

I do not have a contempt for every customer that walks in the door. As a matter of fact, the majority of the people that come in to eat are wonderful, gracious people who I enjoy building a rapport with, if for no other reason than to make their visit more enjoyable. However, since this is the rant thread, that's what I did - about the select guests who do come in and make life miserable. While this is only a college job to pay the bills and I certainly won't be making a career out of it, I do enjoy going to work much of the time. As I said, there are nice people in the world, and they tend to counter-balance all those people who turn out to be not quite as nice.

As for work in the back of house... well, I have no reason to prove my worth here to you, but suffice it to say that I am not above washing some dishes when the dishwasher breaks, or slicing some vegetables when Berna has the flu. I pull my weight (and often more) at work, so I think I'm allowed to grumble.