View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #49
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I thought I was pretty clear about that. "Crass consumerism."

All the vehicles you mention are ones I'm not fond of. They are all wasteful. Although the trucks do have a utilitarian purpose and I don't oppose them when they are used that way. Most people don't need SUVs. When virtually all of your driving is done on paved surfaces, why would you need an SUV? I'm not going to support a ban on any of those vehicles, but that doesn't mean I have to like them. They are dangerous to the other vehicles on the road because they have so much more mass, they block visibility, they use more oil than my car, and people buy them mostly for intangible reasons that relate to status and feelings, and have nothing to do with needs.
It is not up to you do decide that for people, now is it?
If someone is into buying and restoring antiques, going fishing on the weekends or camping, can you define "need" for the type of vehicle they should buy. In my father's case, our family is in the citrus industry. A puny little car does not quite cut it in sugar-sand, fit men our size, have a place for my wheelchair.
"Most people" means what when it comes to doing what about what when it comes to the vehicles you are talking about? Be specific, practical and realistic and perhaps people will listen.
Sounds to me, more often than not, "environmentalists" are about status... most hunters I know are more environmentally sound in practice than the hippies that use that term.