View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #19
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
Stop being shy.

And even if you can't stop, quit admitting it. With the right attitude, you won't have to meet people. They'll be meeting you.
I have to agree. You can BE shy, but no one else has to know you ARE shy!

I shocked my mother when we threw my sister's baby shower several years ago. We had about 50 people over and I jumped up and took charge of everyone, organizing the activities and making announcements in front of everyone. Mother was FLABBERGASTED! (if you knew how shy I was, you'd be, too)

After everyone left Mom questioned me and asked about the transformation...I told her I may be shy, but the people there didn't know me or know that I was shy. I had nothing to lose so I was the life of the party.

I think my hubby has been a big influence on breaking me out of my shell. We are very secure in our marriage and that security has made me bold. I talk to strangers...at the grocery I'll strike up little conversations with other customers in aisles/lines and with the cashiers and baggers, I'll speak to anyone who asks me questions about my car (a noticeable 'vette).

I'd suggest practicing having small conversations with random people in public places like I mentioned above. You will find that people like a little bit of friendly/funny interaction. I joked the other day with an older man who was having trouble finding the cereal he wanted because of all the brightly colored boxes. I told him it wasn't just him! As you get more comfortable initiating these little social interactions, you can progress to longer conversations. I've found that people like to talk about themselves, so I ask questions and listen.
hh