View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #525
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted
I just finished "The Sun Also Rises". Much preferred "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and I would like to read "Death in the Afternoon".

I read a short story in college, "The Short and Happy Life of Francis MacComber(sp)" and can't recall if Hemingway wrote it...but I remember I loved the story for all its' hidden meanings and symbolism.
Yes, 'The Short Happy Life of Francis MacComber' was written by Hemingway. It's one of my favorite stories. Like you, I didn't find "The Sun Also Rises" great, but I was also probably too young when I read it. Doesn't mean I'd like it now, though - what I can remember, I don't much like.

I just finished "The First World War" by John Keegan. Great book, very detailed. It made me both sad and furious, reading about the rigid thinking and ineptitude of the generals that resulted in casualties I could hardly comprehend. More than 250,000 just at Gallipoli! Agghh! Keegan stresses that they didn't use the communications technology available, i.e. radio. Unbelievable.

Currently I'm working through a number of P.D. James's novels. She's marvellous. And she's in her eighties and still writing the best crime fiction out there!!!