View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
I always thought hard work was rewarded; I never believed that being a phony could ultimately get you somewhere.
Being a phony can indeed get you somewhere, but one place it can't get you is happy or surrounded by genuine friends. On the other hand, the idea that hard work is always rewarded is obviously false. 'Working hard at something and waiting for the reward' is very different from 'working hard at getting rewarded.'

Does leaving your job mean that you will definitely have to leave town? IMHO, leaving coworkers is not so big a deal, but leaving family is. Surely your skills could be transferrable to another job in the same area? Keep in mind that you don't have to stay in the exact same type of position, check out the "Working" thread to see how average people's careers have jumped all over the place. You might be surprised who would hire you outside your field.

Ultimately, I consider job satisfaction to be a whole-picture kind of thing, and if one part makes you miserable it doesn't matter how great the rest is. There are other jobs out there with hours flexibility, and other friendly coworkers in other companies. Can't hurt to look, anyway.

One other thing you might consider before looking, however, is whether your "great boss" knows about your dissatisfaction. Sit down with him and tell him you're genuinely considering leaving, and you never know what they might offer you.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote