Thread: Nintendo Wii
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #20
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss62
...people are now "doing" all these sports in their livingrooms rather than actually going out, let's say, bowling...
I see your point, regarding people sitting in front of the TV, or playing video games, and then suffering from "health" problems which amount to get-off-your-ass-itis. I don't have a TV signal going into my home, nor have I actually owned a video game console since Turbo Grafx 16 (16 bit), although I do play occasionally on friend's systems. Where you're wrong, in my opinion, to point this out in regards to the Wii.

Consider a few hypothetical groups of people:

Active tennis players. Will they stop playing tennis in favor of a video game?

People who don't currently play tennis, and very unlikely to ever take it up. Does the Wii have any effect on them?

People who don't currently play tennis, but intend to add it to their workout regimen. Will they play a video game instead?

Avid video game players. Up until now, they were on the couch, inactive. Now they are up on their feet, getting a workout.

I call this a net positive effect. A video game console that gets you physically involved in the game. This is a step in the right direction, not a sign of impending doom. Active sports players are not going to stop playing sports, and video gamers are going to start getting a workout. That's all good.

Personal anecdote: My nephew's birthday party was at Putt-Putt, I had a cup of free tokens. After playing the Wii recently, I was disappointed in almost all of the available games, and passed them by. I ended up spending my time on a game that detects real-life motion of a plastic samurai sword, and I worked up a good sweat playing that one. Afterwards, I went to the batting cages and hit some balls. I was reminded of how fun that is, after doing some batting practice on the Wii. That's right: I played baseball on the Wii, and then, because of the Wii, I went out and played baseball in real life. How is that bad?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote