Thread: Organ recital
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
I'm sorry, I know some people, especially women (stereotype, yeah, but in my experience one with a basis in fact) get irrational on the subject of grandchildren. But that's just completely irrelevant.

You need to decide if this is something you want to do for this woman--considering your own health and the medical risks to you, as well as the medical condition & prospects of the donor, the likelihood of her finding another donor, and any other medical, spiritual, and ethical issues that are important to you.

Maybe the answer is yes. Maybe it's no. I couldn't make that judgement for you even if I had more information than you've posted. But this has to be between you and her. Whether she has children, or grandchildren, or ever will, or whether her daughter gets nailed by a bus crossing the street later this afternoon, is, to me, a completely irrelevant consideration.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Her chances of finding another donor are small because of her age. I guess the fact that she says she wants to see her grandchildren is irrelevant to me as well. The bottom line is she wants to live a longer, healthier life. And if I can help make that happen, I'm fine with that.

I will be meeting her and her daughter if/when I go for the exam prior to the actual surgery.

And seeing as how I don't want to have children of my own, I guess this is my way of giving life with out the messy birthing process.