View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Flint
Snowflake

Useless Musical Complexity (Drums)

I like to play 3s with my feet (right-left-left, right-left-left) and solo on top, trying to find things that are difficult, IE that try to pull my feet off of the 3s, and then keep trying to do that thing while maintaining the 3s, until I can do it, and then until I can do it fluently and actually solo against the 3s. (A clumsy man's Bozzio, if you will.)

Next, last night I was thinking of a hand pattern, while trying to get to sleep, that consists of 16ths, accenting the 1, the 4, and the 7. Like 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 & 7 & 8 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & etc. - This could be played against 4/4 and sound "odd" even though it's an 8-note pattern.

Well, I'm pretty fluent in playing 4/4 against the foot-3s, so I decide to try this pattern, but I unwittingly made one alteration, I started playing the accented 1, 4, and 7, and then back to the 1 (skipping the 8 and making a 7-note pattern). I played this against the 3s, without thinking about what I was doing, until I got it down. Then, I realized I was playing 7s agains 6s, a pattern that will only overlap on itself every 42nd note.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote