View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM   #696
cklabyrinth
spring of my discontent

I'm not currently reading it, but Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny is one of my favorite books, to the point I'd include it in here.

Right now, though, I'm reading Buddhism: A Concise Introduction by Huston Smith and Philip Novak. It's pretty elucidating so far. I don't see how it couldn't be, though, as it's the first book I've read on true Buddhism and not simply Zen, or any religion other than Christianity for that matter. One interesting passage I've found follows:

Quote:
Buddhism begins with a man. In his later years, when India was afire with his message and kings themselves were bowing before him, people came to him even as they were to come to Jesus asking what he was. How many people have provoked this question--not "Who are you?" with respect to name, origin, or ancestry, but "What are you? What order of being do you belong to? What species do you represent?" Not Caesar, certainly. Not Napoleon, or even Socrates. Only two: Jesus and Buddha (3).

For fiction I'm trying to get started reading The Briar King by Greg Keyes. Its synopsis makes it sound exactly like Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series so I've been having some trouble getting into it.
cklabyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote