Thread: Valentines Day
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 09:51 PM   #55
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
If you are single, what's wrong with sending a friend a card or better yet calling them up to see what they've been up to etc.? sheesh. You don't have to spend $$ to show someone you care about them. If my husband would give me a 30 min back massage, without whining, that beats any material thing he could get me.

I have a sig other, but still wish my friends a happy V day (especially the single ones). To me it's about caring for people, not just loving one in particular. I guess it stems from school, when we gave valentines to everyone. Of course, certain people got special ones, and others got generics...but still.

It's a whole different culture over here. In some elsewheres it would seem kinda perverse to send valentine's day cards to kids or even friends -(a) it's for lovers and (b) it's supposed to be anonymous for that extra frisson. It's a whole different thing here, and not one that's easy to get used to.