View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 02:54 AM   #739
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell[/url] by Susanna Clark. The style of writing is kind of mock-Dickens, so it doesn't exactly let you get lost in the story, but it definitely succeeds at being amusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
I'm still struggling with this book off and on. I feel that if I'm going to be bored with footnotes I'd rather read Eco, or a textbook. Pratchett can keep me interested in his footnotes because they're so short and usually a bit funny.

I don't know why, but it reminds me more of Jane Austen (which I can't penetrate at all) than Dickens.

I really want to like JS&MN, just like I really want to like Eco's The Island of the Day Before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
The first chapter hooked me, then a lot of the middle bored me. It's a heck of a project to read through!

I thought it was more faux-Austen than mock-Dickens ... overblown comedy of manners style and all, I loved the footnotes.

There are a lot of interesting little bits in this book, it's just unfortunately inconsistent.
I am4/5 of the way through and enjoying it immensely. I do love a book where you can't predict the next few chapters - and this is one. I am surprised that other people aren't able to lose themselves in it though - I have. Perhaps it's because I like Austen...?

Glad for the recommendation though.