View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Great thread, SG!!

Not in any particular order:

Mr Foster. AP (Advanced Placement, college preparatory) English. I don't recall any particular English-y stuff I learned from him, but the life lessons learned from his attitude and comportment were invaluable. He was something of a dandy, with a deceptive southern drawl. He was supremely self confident, and it made a positive impression on me. He took us to the Huntington Hartford theater in Los Angeles for a couple of field trips. We saw The First Monday In October, The Gin Game, and a couple more maybe. I loved the trips, and Hollywood was a very glamorous field trip for a class of 15-16 year olds. We ate at the Brown Derby one trip, and I distinctly remember him telling us that we were just as good as the other patrons, and if we wanted ketchup on our steak, by golly, we had every right to have it that way. Very empowering.

Mr Martindale. My woodshop teacher when I was 13-14. I was in his class for two years. I was his prize pupil. I won a county wide Industrial Arts award for my woodworking, which was a big deal for me at that age. I learned a lot in his classes. I especially appreciate the opportunity and the mentoring in the area of woodworking, and working with my hands. I love working with wood. I feel I "understand wood" and what it's capable of and what I'm capable of. He made that possible. Some of the furniture I made 30 plus years ago is still in use today.

Mrs Krecji, English Composition, high school. How to write a paper. How to write a paragraph. Opening sentence, three supporting sentences, concluding sentence. How to write an outline. Write like you speak; do not be pretentious just because it's in writing. Tremendous help in the basic mechanics of communicating my thoughts in written form.

Mr Foley. I'm sure he taught something, but to me he was the coach of the aquatics program. During practices and drills he earned my hatred. I'm over that now. He was right and I was wrong. He was a good coach. "Finish hard!" "Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ok, maybe I'm not completely over it, but he was effective.

Mr Winey. Another aquatics mentor. In college taught me Water Safety Instruction, which I turned into dollars as a teacher, coach, lifeguard, pool manager, etc. Also taught me and certified me as a SCUBA diver (and first aid and cpr). More lifelong gifts from a long lost teacher.