View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I so must see that.

I love listening to him reading his own work. I have Repent, Harlequin and Tales from the Sunken Cathedral on tape.

Harlan does not write happy work. Even his comedy pieces are tidbits of sharp satire, Sour Patch Kids that don't bother with a sweet finish, but you keep munching on them anyway.

From my own experience, it's not easy to find his short story collections. I have managed to track down most of what was published before the mid-nineties, except for limited edition and foreign publication works. The Essential Ellison is large enough to kill a chihuahua with if you drop it, but it's about the best collection out there.

If I had to recommend only one collection that weighs less than ten pounds, though, I'd go with Alone Against Tomorrow. You'll be horribly depressed by the end, since the thematic link of the stories is alienation, but you'll find yourself saying, "that boy can write."

Gentleman Junkie and Shatterday are awesome as well. Okay. It's all great. I am in danger of just listing everything.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote