View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
monster
I hear them call the tide

I do a lot work for many non-profits. I have been the treasurer for most of them at some point. It is my opinion that the volunteers putting the time and effort in should not also be liable for out-of-pocket expenses if they do not want to be/cannot afford to be. Otherwise, none but the wealthy would be able to give their time.

However, I believe that it is little short of theft to skim it from the cash donations. If you paid $x for t-shirt printing and you wish to be reimbursed, you make a formal request for $x to the organization you are raising the money for. If they refuse because it is against policy, or because they don't belive it was a worthwhile expenditure or for whatever reason, then you know for next time. And you suck it up -you do not help yourself. (You may find someone who believe in the cause willing to share the cost with you)

In my opinion, non-profits which do not budget for operating expenses are flawed because they exclude talented and willing members of the population who cannot afford to pay their own fundraising expenses. To me, the time and skills they donate are worth way more than the cost to print the flyers they designed and distriibuted. Paying salaries is a whole different issue.

When I give to a charity, I expect some of my contribution to pay for reasonable operating expenses. I will not give to organizations who pay fat-cat salaries to their executives. Perhaps charities do make more money for the worthy cause operating that way, but I prefer a more direct model.