Thread: What Saves You
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
Flint
Snowflake

What Saves You

I saw a church marquee on the way to work this morning, something like: IT'S NOT WHAT YOU DO THAT SAVES YOU, IT'S WHAT YOU BELIEVE JESUS DID. Well, that raises a few red flags for me.

I think that religion should try to make the world a better place. To make the world a better place, people need to behave better. To encourage people to behave better, I think they need the message: IT'S WHAT YOU DO THAT MATTERS. Instead, the message is: it doesn't matter what you do. Do whatever you want. You have a free pass, courtesy of God himself. How does this benefit anybody?

Now it's clear that making the world a better place is not the goal here (although I really think it should be); because the stated goal is what "saves" you. I think that's a selfish fucking goal. Do whatever you want, and here's how to save your own ass. I don't think encouraging people to "look out for number one" is the best cure for what ails the world. Again, how does this benefit anybody?

I can understand how people would be attracted to this idea, because it clearly appeals to the base instincts. What I don't get is: who the hell spawned this horrific idea in the first place, and why? I can't imagine it could possibly have any good intentions.

I think all religions share the same basic principles, and all of them are trying to achieve the same goal. The good parts of religion are a beautiful thing. But messages like what I saw on this marquee, they take a steaming dump right in God's face, and it disgusts me that people fall for this evil shit.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote