View Single Post
Old 09-04-2001, 11:37 AM   #7
dave

heh. i can do it. here are the computers i can use to do that -

-new ibook running macos x exclusively, so if there's a macosx client, i can do it (or a unix one)

-jenni's imac, which she runs os9 on, so if there's an os9 client, i can do it

-retro gaming box running win2k, so if there's a win2k client, i can do it

-debian box under my bed that isn't doing much at the moment, so if there's a linux client, i can do it

-powermacg4 dual 800 (i don't have this yet, but when i do in 2 weeks or so, mark me up to 19 computers in the house and watch this thing crunch numbers)... it'll run osx exclusively (i got into mac hardware for osx, can you tell?), so if there's a macosx client that can take advantage of dual processors, mmmmm boy...

-i might do it on my main machine if it doesn't eat up too much cpu, since i use this machine for *everything* and i need it to be nice and responsive. it's running linux

-i might be able to run it on my dad's linux box

-the rest of my machines don't talk to the outside world, so it'd be kinda useless. can't run it on my dad's 2 windows boxes, nor my dad's girlfriend's computer, so... i can put at least 5 machines on it, maybe 7... when i get my sun box (probably end of november) and my gaming box (probably in a month or two, dual processor athlons, mmmm), i'll put those on it too.

as for maxtor's no-quibble shit, i'm in the same boat as you - i didn't have a windows box until about 2 weeks ago (when i threw together spare parts so i could play worms2) - i just told 'em i couldn't get the computer to recognize the drive, and that i was very disappointed with them for treating me like i was lying. hop on the high horse with them and act like you're going to take your business else where - they jump through hoops. 'course, i only buy seagate, wd & ibm drives now, but ya know... 17.2 > 4.3...

'course if you're hellbent on destr^H^H^H^H^Htaking apart the drive - try slamming a screw driver through the drive platters! they don't call it a "hard drive" for nothin'!

Last edited by dave; 09-04-2001 at 06:05 PM.