View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #81
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by somekind View Post
Since there has been a duscussion about legality in this thread I'd like to pose some 'expectation of privacy' questions:
(I'm only taping dogs here; no people or inside of houses.)

Is it legal to videotape my neighbor's dog in it's yard from within my yard? I can easily see over the fence (5'). It barks a lot and is annoyingly cute and I have a lot of video of it now.

How about if the fence is taller than I am (6'1") and I stand on a stool or hold my camera over the fence? What if the fence is at the street and I am on the sidewalk holding the videocamera over the fence (I can peek at the LCD display). I'm only taping yard/dog.

I'm going to assume that any dog I can see from the street is fair game to videotape.
IANAL. I believe it is fair to say that if you are on public property (i.e. a street, sidewalk, park, etc.) or on your own property, you can photograph whatever you can see legally with some limited exceptions (military installation, etc.). (This will not stop you from being hassled by cops who decide they don't like what you're doing, or by the olympic boxing gold medalist whose hot girlfried you just took a snapshot of.)

Note I said "you" are on public property. What you're taking a picture of does not have to be.

I don't know how this applies to video, as opposed to photos.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote