View Single Post
Old 09-11-2001, 12:08 PM   #7
serge

I live in Brooklyn but work in Manhattan.. the company I work for has ~50+ people in WTC1 and we have (had) a server farm there that I'd physically get to from time to time (I work in midtown).

Today I didn't go to work (school.. work part time).. in the morning.. there was no express (interborough) bus service.. so I took the subway (no idea about what's going on at this point).. after getting almost to the bridge all subway service was suspended and trains turned back. 3 stations before mine.. trains totally stopped and ordered passangers off.. I think they might have thought about a bomb attack on the train(s). Some of the people on the street are near hysterical (although most are calm).. stopping me, asking if I'm coming back from the city...

Now the debree (partially burned paper mostly) was landing where I live.. which is quite a distance.. and now as before the sky is full of smoke.

Can't get to anyone at work.. phones dead. Called a friend who works right near WTC.. said he witnessed the whole thing.. anyway.. there's at this point to automated transportation of any kind to/from Manhattan.. to Brooklyn.. people are crossing the bridge on foot.

I think for many readers of this forum it'll be hard to imaging the physical magnitude of WT towers going down.. being physically being there many time.. it's just unreal.