View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 02:28 AM   #10
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

That was not what I said, but it is what you insisted on reading, Bruce.

No, my true, and I think pretty explicit, meaning was that I could see at 10 that there were people twice my age who were less wise than me, and demonstrating that in public. They were the communists' dupes; I wasn't.

If my road is so wrong as all that, Bruce, can you explain why I'm not dead? Perhaps another thread, though -- shouldn't we be back on Darwin, et alia?

Evolutionary theory didn't stop with Charles, as people have gathered a century and a quarter and more of observation, which has borne out some parts of Origin of Species and disproved others. The hard-fundie antievolutionists seem not to stay up on the current state of the art.

They've got the idea that a creation that goes of itself, without God having to sweat out a separate miracle of creation for each species, is an impediment to the idea of the human as a moral being -- by being cousin to the ape.

I can't buy that one: a social organization requires a moral manner of behavior and if it doesn't have one it must devise one. The process, to put it mildly, is less than systematic, which is why we get varieties of societies, and why social mores have their oddities.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 05-21-2007 at 02:38 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote