View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 AM   #84
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I'm not sure it's as silly as it sounds. When the President surrounds himself with morally corrupt people like Cheney, Rove, etc., the people they interact with emulate them. And the minions the emulators control take their cue in a trickle down manner. They see the people above them working with lobbyists and power mongers so that must be the accepted norm, the way to get ahead. All thinking becomes short term, what's in it for me, how do I make that next rung on the ladder, or more importantly keep from getting knocked off this one.

No, the general population doesn't look to politicians for moral guidance but they do get cues from how the rich and famous got that way. When normal people get unhappy with their plight, and see success come to people that fuck over other people, they scale it to their world.

This cause and effect doesn't have to be widespread to have an effect on national statistics, only some in addition to normal will do it.

Do you think I could get a Doctoral thesis out of that?
No you can't get a Doctoral thesis out of it because it is basically BS. Normal people are not criminals. Normal people who are "unhappy with their plight" are not running around trying to figure out how to "fuck over other people", they are trying to figure out how to be happier, and most normal people are not commiting crimes to do it. Additionally the FBI crime stats do not support tw's fantasy that there is a relationship between who is President and the national crime rate.