Thread: finally!
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2003, 05:18 PM   #9
jaguar
whig

Ok, lets go though this.
Secret arrests, unlawful holding of prisoners offshore, use of torture to extract infomation at overseas locations and that's well before we get into Patriot 2...

Quote:
The proposed law would radically expand law enforcement and intelligence gathering authority; reduce or eliminate judicial oversight over certain surveillance; authorize secret arrests, detentions, and grand jury subpoenas; create a DNA database of individuals who are suspected of association with terrorism or terrorist groups; create new death penalty provisions; and empower the government to remove American citizenship from persons who belong to or support disfavored political groups.
Lets hope you're not in a 'disfavoured political group' UT. I mean bloody hell, it's like they're about to create a court for unamerican activities or something! *coughcough*.

Facist? Secret arrests and unending detention without trial are certainly not a sign of a healthy democracy. Still, not facist yet, all the same. On the other hand, i never used that word.

Ohhhh...that's right, that's for those EVIL TERRORISTS!

Webster has this to say about imperialism:
Quote:
the policy, practice, or advocacy of extending the power and dominion of a nation especially by direct territorial acquisitions or by gaining indirect control over the political or economic life of other areas; broadly : the extension or imposition of power, authority, or influence
If the shoe fits.....

Wading into other soverign nations on a whim that they may be a threat? Only if they don't pose a signifigant threat - otherwise you might lose a soldier or two. Should we start at economic espionage, the invasion of Afghanistan, Vietnam (i'm not going to both going back any further) and soon, Iraq or maybe just the more economic stuff?

To quote George Orwell "The nationalist does only not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not hearing about them"

So take a few words you've tried to put in my mouth like say..."facist" or "regime" along with "fucking braindead idiot".