Thread: "A Fat Rant"
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #76
Kingswood
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer View Post
Kingswood, instead of using substitutions like "gene C" for the actual name of a gene, could you actually post the real name?
The point of the example was primarily mathematical, not scientific. The point was to demonstrate that genes could be combined in various ways. The example was intentionally simplified to prove a point and I expect that most people would understand this. I could have posted the real names of the genes involved, but to make a realistic example would have taken a few hours to do research to get the names right. If people want to find out more they can do their own research.

Quote:
I'd also like to pick a point on someone being predisposed to something vs having a guarenteed outcome. Yes, there is a difference in metabolisms between people, but it's not the be-all-end-all determinator you make it out to be. If you happen to not be blessed with the ability to eat as much as you'd like and still maintain a healthy weight, then you have to make a choice between indulging yourself and keeping your weight under control. If obesity is actually genetic, then it must be approached with the same attitude as any other condition that is dangerous if it gets out of control such as diabetes.
I would like to pick a point of my own here. You are implying that everyone who is overweight has indulged themselves excessively. That is not true for everyone. There are overweight people who can gain weight on eating plans that would promote weight loss in normal people. There are also recognised syndromes in which obesity is a symptom, or the result of excessive appetite caused by hormonal deficiencies such as the inability to make the hormone leptin. To suggest that all overweight is the same is an erroneous simplification and you would do well to remember this.

I restate an earlier point of mine: If everyone ate a healthy diet in moderation and got enough exercise, there would still be fat people. For more information, do some research on metabolic disorders.
Quote:
As for me, I'm on my diet really for one main reason, to look more physically attractive. It also helps greatly in my day-to-day comfort and mental alertness, but my biggest motivator for keeping myself on 1450 calories of vegan food a day is so that I look better both with my shirt on and without it. I am absolutly not ashamed to say so. With others, it's your lifestyle that I care about. I watch what you eat to make my judgements more then watching to see if your belly jiggles. But around the pool, I'd be lying to you if I said that I'm as physically attracted to overweight girls as I am to those with slim physiques. I'm also very attracted to high cheek bones and narrow faces, it's just my taste.
Other people's tastes are different. Some people would not mind you as you are now. But don't let that sap your motivation. Keep up the good work and I hope you achieve your goals.

By the way, I may be rather accepting of fat people - for example I prefer the fuller figure in women - but that does not mean I promote unhealthy eating habits. I like to see people eating fruit and vegetables every day, and I consider trans fats to be public enemy number one as far as a healthy diet is concerned.