Thread: Bridge Collapse
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
warch
lurkin old school

I'm ok. Surreal night though. I was walking across the stone arch bridge- next bridge north of 35 just few minutes after the collapse. We werent sure what was going on. We were walking into downtown because we had Guthrie tickets, and knew of the construction and Twins traffic, so we were just gonna walk.

We crossed over 35 just north of the collapse and noticed southbound was stopped and northbound was empty. We thought it was construction/twins related jam or an accident.

It was clear in a minute that it was big, not just a fire or traffic accident. We couldn't believe what we couldn't see- no span, only the 10th st bridge and it was hard to make sense of the metal and what was road or should be road.... Everyone was just in shock. Surreal.

We weren't really close to the rescues but also couldn't really get back over to the east bank, as we would just tangle in the rescue vehicle stuff which was growing, so after gawking in confusion, continued across and went to the Guthrie. Saw the play in a surreal mode. During intermission the view from the theater windows (right on the river overlook) we could see the whole mess and could start to imagine the toll. We had some somber drinks and stared for a while away from the collapse, towards the lovely skyline.

The emergency response was huge and fast and amazingly organized. That impressed me. They closed the stone arch bridge, so a few hours later we walked back over Hennepin, finally seeing some of the coverage (and returning panicked phone messages) around midnight. Oh, and the almost full moon hung right over the collapse site, glazed a dark red.

Still waiting to see more about the victims. The river rescue staging area is near my workplace.

thanks for the concern guys.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote