View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #320
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Today: Verifying FAFSAs
Don't people keep copies of tax stuff? In most cases shouldn't W2s match the freaking first line of the tax form?
Isn't it possible that, when filling out the FAFSA, if it says "if you filed a
1040A take the number from line 36" that you should take the number from line 36? Not decide they must mean line 35?
Does it make sense to guess at "child support received" on both the FAFSA and the verification worksheet and guess two totally different numbers?

These are rhetorical questions. I know the answers. I know mistakes get made. But the sheer number of corrections I have to make is amazing. I've been doing this for over five years and I still find myself mumbling: where in the FUCK did they get that number? It all results in more work on our end, (as we are required by fed regs to resolve ALL conflicting information,) more work on the student's end (who now has to go to the appropriate agencies and get documentation,) and more time for them to find out their final eligibility (which is usually blamed on us,) so no one wins.
But, I'm a bit OCD and am always really careful when filling things out. Like, I wouldn't leave "are you male" blank, prompting a selective service mismatch. I would double check my SSN so as not to get a SSA mismatch...on and on.

Done venting!