View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #322
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

True to all. That's why we have numerous sessions (and every friday for two hours) to help people fill them out. Guess how many people show up?

Of course, I've seen millions of them, but really , if you take your time they're fairly self-explanatory. Some families have very unique situations which are confusing, but the most of it is demographics (name, address, etc) and tax forms (with line numbers given.) The ABC worksheet worries most people, but I always tell them not to sweat it too much. If you've never heard of it (like black lung benefits) you probably don't have it. For the other ABC items that don't have line item guidance (child support paid or received, Social Security benefits) if you do the worksheet ahead of time you know you need a number there and you get it THEN go online with all the info right in front of you.

But I do understand the hectic family thing. Still, if you know it's important and that you are supposed to report correctly (just as you are expected to do for the IRS) you don't do it until you have the answers. Also, remember in the future that 1/3 of all apps are selected by the Dept for verification. You'll have a much easier time if you know you filled it out right the first time.

We are willing to help any student from any school with this. Most FA administrators I know across the country will, as well. Also, the hotline is always there.
THanks for the filler-outer perspective. It gave me a chance to maybe help educate on the process.