Thread: Leadership
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 01:41 AM   #10
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I think it's more complex than that Ali. People often want to be 'told what to do' in circumstances which are outside their comfort zone. Those same people may well be more confident in different situations and then they may require more in the way of reasons and motivation.

Of course this is true. It's also true that some people may change from one to another during the course of their lives or according to their level of experience.

In my experience, I'd say that when people have more knowledge they're more likely to be interested in finding and solving problems as well as improving the outcomes for the group as well as themselves. People with less knowledge need more direct guidance and are more likely to take on board simple tasks which may contribute to the overall wellbeing of the group, but are unable identify innovations which could improve their output.

With this in mind, I believe leaders need to be able to wear both caps equally, particularly during training stages for new staff as an example.

Consolidate then delegate.