Thread: Buster's BS
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #137
busterb
NSABFD

Wire rope and cables

I wish I was smart enough to get my head, fingers and other shit together.

This is about wire rope or cables, which ever you prefer. I thought of this while my rabbit ass brain was flopping around. I saw a 3” cable break, part while on a lay barge.
Which I’ll, one day return to.

So. Once I was a super for contractor from Venice, LA. And we had a bid job for Chevron oil offshore Bayou Fourchon, LA. Safety is the key word here. My rigger foreman and I had to go to a crane school put on by Linkbelt, in a portable class room.
In the flappin marsh.

So we learned all about cables and crane usage. Link, because I don’t have a clue about inserting in word. http://www.webriggingsupply.com/page...ope-about.html

Then when we got on job there was a stiff-leg homemade thing that had an air winch and a deal like you boat owner use to pull the boat on trailer to let the boom up and down. The swing was a rope that you pulled to move the sob.
Of course the air supply was gas, so when we stopped that had to hook up air.
Life is great.

BTW Google maps shows that hwy 23 ends at Pointe a la hache and hwy 1 south of cut off, LA. Maybe my, hope, road trip will see if the hwys are really gone??

Last edited by busterb; 09-14-2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: add
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote