Thread: Dawn
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 11:21 PM   #65
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Just a hunch I guess. Glad to see I'm wrong.

On to the photography!

First off, if you can work out a tripod or some hard level surface that's always a plus. I don't know how much info like this you already know so I apologize ahead of time if this is old news to you. Anyway, a tripod will help you keep things level and allow you to mess with longer shutter speeds if you so desire. Keep the ISO as low as possible, unless you're after a grainy film look. Keep your eyes open for something to frame the scene with like a pier, a fishing boat, an outcropping of rocks, a lone couple walking, etc.

As for the sunset its self, try under exposing and leaving the white balance on auto. If it looks a little too "cool", set the WB to cloudy and see what that does for you. You always want to expose your shot for the sky, not the ground/sea. Try at first setting your aperture to as small # as it gets. If there is a lot of detail in the clouds that you want to capture, bump it up to whatever the sweet spot is (the aperture that gives the sharpest images) for the lens you're using. For most it's around f/8-11. Don't be afraid to zoom in a bit too. Capture a silhouetted sailboat near the sun, etc. Also try going on Google Earth and looking for good, high vantage points where you can get some city skyline in.

The sunset is constantly changing, so keep checking your settings and reviewing your shots so you can continue to make adjustments as needed. If you have or know anyone with some filters, give those a whirl. I've seen some neat stuff done with warming and cooling filters that really capture the mood of the scene well.

If you have Photoshop and a RAW conversion program, try shooting in RAW and messing with the white balance on your computer. I'm not a huge fan of extreme post-processing in PS. But obviously there are many adjustments you can make to your images in that.

Skip the camera's creative modes and go full manual; you'll learn more and become more confident in your ability to get exactly the shot you envision.