Thread: Ubuntu
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I have upgraded to Feisty on the used laptop I bought. I started with Edgy a few months ago. My only issue was burning a CD with no MD5 errors. Every single one had a single error on the same file. I gave up and loaded from it anyway and it worked fine.

My only real issue was with restricted drivers. The installation loaded an NVIDIA driver, but did not activate it. This gave me crappy performance on games until I went to the Restricted Drivers option and turned it on.

Definitely download the graphical NDIS wrapper utility if you are going to install a WI-FI card. It makes the process much easier.

Linux runs very well on an old laptop that would probably choke on XP and run screaming from Vista.

Favorite Linux Game: Angry Drunken Dwarves
Favorite Linux Educational program: Celesitia astronomy (also available for Windows)
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote