View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #849
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*chuckles* good advice Ali...unfortunately I have a conference to attend on Saturday and the Legion's annual general meeting in the morning with a leaflet drop in the afternoon on Sunday.

Takes about three or four days of reading and probably a few hours in special collections examining primary sources to put an essay together (if it's gonna get decent marks anyway).

I'll spend some of today on the reading. Try and get some done in the evening as well. I am in uni tomorrow anyway so that might be a good time to go visit Specials Colls.

Have to know what the current and past scholarship is of the topic at hand to avoid accidental plagiarism. If you don't know what the main writers in any one field are saying you can come up with similar ideas and end up in trouble. Only way to avoid it is to know who's said the things you want to say and footnote them. Knowing where their analysis leaves off or where the gaps are allows you to make your own independant argument, spinning off from theirs.

basically I have to know what fifteen or twenty historians have said about each of the topics I am writing on.

But hey....maybe if I log off here and go do some fecking reading tht might help huh?:P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote